Skip to main content

Q: Barking dogs; Number of dogs in households; Waste disposal on property; Leash law.
A. You need to check if there is an ordinance on the items above in your Township, Borough or Municipality.

Q. Deceased dog on Roads.
A. Please contact PennDOT.

Q. Dog Under Control.
A. All dogs must be under control. This means that when your dog is not on your property, it must be under reasonable control of you or a handler. The best way to control your dog is with a leash. Remember, dogs are personal property. You are responsible for any damage caused by your dog.

Q. Age of Dog.
A. No dog under eight (8) weeks old may be bartered, traded, sold or transferred.

Q. Number of dogs required for Kennel license.
A. You must have a current kennel license if you operate a kennel that keeps, harbors, boards, shelters, sells, gives away or transfers a total of 26 or more dogs of any age in one calendar year.

Q. Rabies Certification.
A. State licensed kennel owners may administer rabies vaccine to animals they own if they are certified as qualified to do so by the PA Department of Agriculture (A written request must be mailed in to the Harrisburg Office). Until they are certified, kennel owners must have their animals inoculated by or under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian.

Q. Age dog is supposed to be licensed.
A. All dogs three (3) months of age or older must be licensed. Licenses are issued by the County Treasurer.

Q. Humane Issues/Cruelty to Animals.
A. Contact your Humane Society or SPCA in your area for complaints.

Q. Puppy Lemon Law.
A. In an effort to ensure that consumers buying a dog in Pennsylvania know their new pet has a clean bill of health, Pennsylvania’s dog sellers and breeders must now post a visible notice that informs consumers of their rights under the state’s Dog Purchaser Protection Act, also known as the “Puppy Lemon Law”. Sellers and breeders must also provide a written copy of the consumer’s rights at the time of the sale. For more information on Pennsylvania’s “Puppy Lemon Law” or to file a complaint, visit the Office of the Attorney General, Bureau of Consumer Protection web site at: